Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Rapid Reading

I'm in progress through a rapid reading course to improve my reading speed and comprehension. Today we discussed the minds amazing ability to decode and unscramble words that one might think get tangled up during Advanced Grouping and Pacing while reading rapidly. I found the contents of one of the slides particularly interesting:
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
I started laughing when I realized that my brain could actually read and comprehend the selection without any problems.

Could there be a spiritual application lurking in this little incident!
For more information on this 'Cambridge research' see http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/cambridge.asp

No comments: